Solution / Results
Epidemiological Disease Modelling and Molecular Surveillance of
of epidemiology and public health, University of veterinary and animal
Evaluate the effects of various interventions and prevention
strategies for COVID-19.
Data gathered and analysed epidemiological measures (Morbidity and
Mortality), through credible government sources will be helpful to study the
important aspects of disease regarding its spread and fatalities amongst the
different proportions of a population.
• Trends of morbidity and mortality frequency
measures of COVID-19 in Lahore
• Modelling of Punjab data in comparison with
• Evaluating and linking various remedial measures
and their impact in managing disease (statistically)
Development of a Reliable, Economical and High throughput
Serodiagnostic Method for Early Detection of COVID-19
School of Biological Sciences University of the
Based on real time samples, explore virus biological structure, its multiplying
behaviour, and details for early detection.
• Formulation of SOPs for patient handling,
screening, sample collection, transportation, and processing.
• Approval of SOPs from concerned Ethical Review
• Blood samples of the different groups including
patients with known COVID-19 and nonCOVID19
pneumonia as well as healthy individuals shall be collected.
• Designing and expression of the truncated
peptides and their analysis for antigenic properties
and Genetic Basis of COVID-19 in local Patients
of Health Sciences (UHS), Lahore
To monitor and evaluate
genome variations in the Pakistani population and SARS-CoV2 strains to
observe its infectivity patterns
• Find a true picture of
different responses and will help to formulate a timely national strategy to
combat this disease
• Discover factors involved in
pathogenesis and severity of COVID-19 in Pakistan including host immunity and
genetic that response to Viral infection.
• RSCoV2 strains and host genes involved in
immunity from different infection clusters in Punjab including Lahore,
Gujrat, Jehlum, Rawalpindi, Multan and Dera Ghazi Khan are studied.
Mapping Immune Response
to SARS-COv2 using a multidisciplinary approach
Department of Biology at Syed Babar Ali
School of Science and Engineering, LUMS, Lahore
the epidemiologic patterns and trends of transmission via collecting health
related and demographic data.
of epidemiological model
• COVID-19 data sorted by Gender.
• COVID 19 Positive Patients sorted by Waves
• Association of Covid positive male patients with
• Association of Covid-19 positive female
patients over age
IVIG production from
convalescent plasma of COVID-19
survivors: a low risk,
high efficiency passive immunization
Dow College of
Biotechnology, Dow University Of Health Sciences, Karachi
To demonstrate the
feasibility of the modified caprylic acid method for C-IVIG production from pooled
convalescent plasma (PCP) of COVID-19 recovered individuals.
Toinvestigate the safety and clinical efficacy of passive immunization
therapy through Hyperimmune anti-COVID-19 Intravenous Immunoglobulin (C-IVIG:
5% liquid formulation), on severe and critically ill COVID-19 patients.
• Study proved that for the first
time use of hyperimmune intravenous immunoglobulin prepared from convalescent
plasma in treating severe and critical COVID-19 patients.
• Phase I/II clinical trial is completed,
and report has been submitted to Drug regulatory Authority Pakistan (DRAP).
Approval for Phase II/III trial has been granted from DRAP. In fact, DRAP has
written an appreciation letter to acknowledge that this is Pakistan's first
biological drug developed in history that has been developed indigenously and
has gone through clinical trials.
Production of Ultra-Pure Taq Polymerase and PCR Mix for COVID-19 clinical
National Center of Excellence in Molecular
Biology (CEMB), University of the Punjab, Lahore
Study general molecular
biology tools like cloning and expression will be optimized for
Selection of high yield
target protein clone (Completed Successfully).
Fermentation of selected
expression clone in 15 L bioreactor for biomass production
• Construction and amplification of Ultra-Pure Taq
Polymerase gene by PCR
• Plasmid isolation and restriction analysis
• Ligation of Taq Polymerase gene with expression
• Transformation of Taq Polymerase-pET28a into B Construction of expression cassette in expression
• Optimization of shake flask fermentation for
expression of clones.
•Large scale fermentation of selected expression
clones in 15 L bioreactor for biomass productionL21(DE3) strain
|7.||Development of RT-LAMP Assay for Early Detection COVID-19||Department of Biosciences, COMSATS University, Islamabad.||Develop an alternate mode (urgent need of the method which is less expansive and dependent on sophisticated instruments). The method called Reverse-Transcriptase Loop mediated Isothermal Amplification (RT-LAMP) is used for early detection of SARS-CoV-2 (Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 without extensive equipment and HR. ||Successfully completed |
• development of RTLAMP based detection of SARS-Cov-2
• optimization of reaction conditions against 3 viral genes. Currently, proceeding for optimizing specimen nature and assay validation.
• RT-LAMP detection can be opted in existing general laboratory settings present in remote regions.
|8.||Development of bioactive hospital textiles and protective suits against viruses and bacteria by immobilization of nanomaterials|
Department of Textile Engineering, National Textile University, Faisalabad.
|Developing new class of bioactive textiles which are efficient in preventing spread of pathogens by killing them for medical staff, ensuring breathability and reusability of the cloth. |
• Various effective approaches are successfully implemented to functionalize cotton fabric with promising biologically active nanomaterials/ nanocomposites/ nanoscale depositions of metals (Cu, Fe, Zn, Ti and Si).
• Antibacterial activities of all the samples are confirmed by a combination of qualitative & quantitative testing.
• Samples inhabited more than 92 % antibacterial activities for both the bacterial strains before and after 30 washes.
Phylo- and immuno- dynamics of SARS-CoV-2 infection in Pakistan: relating COVID 19 disease severity.
in with viral diversity
|Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, The Aga Khan University, Karachi.|
Understanding the molecular mechanisms responsible for immuno-pathogenesis of disease and management of COVID-19.
• RNA extracted from whole blood of COVID-19 cases was analysed by microarray analysis.
• Moderate and severe cases were compared with healthy controls and differentially regulated genes (DEGs) categorized into cellular pathways.
|10||Computational Modelling for COVID-19 Epidemic in Pakistan||National Institute of Health, Islamabad||Predictive Modelling of Disease Morbidity, Mortality and Assessment of Demands on the Intensive Care Units||• Ethical approvals and Data Samples of patients from leading hospitals of PIMS, IHITC and RMU collected and sorted.|
• Plasma samples transported to USA for specialized testing.