In the 21st century globalised world, regional connectivity is a major factor to achieve broader goals of sustainable development and endurable peace. There is no medium better than education to promote mutual understanding among people of different countries. Pakistan and Sri Lanka have been enjoying cordial and friendly relations since their inceptions. In last 70 years, both countries have established strong bi-lateral economic, trade, military and strategic ties. Academic cooperation between the two countries will further promote mutual understanding among people and academia of both countries.
During the delegation level talks held on January 5, 2016 between the Prime Minister of Islamic Republic of Pakistan and the President of Sri Lanka, it was agreed that both countries will enhance cooperation in higher education sector through networking of best Pakistani universities with Sri Lankan higher learning institutions. As per commitment of the Government of Pakistan and to further foster relations, the Higher Education Commission (HEC), Pakistan, in consultation with the Pakistan High Commission in Colombo, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) and other stake holders, chalk out various activities to initiate Higher Education Cooperation Program with Sri Lanka at various levels.
SALIENT FEATURES OF THE PROGRAMME:
- ALLAMA IQBAL SCHOLARSHIPS FOR SRILANKAN STUDENTS: 1000 Scholarships (800 fully and 200 partially funded) for Sri Lankan students to pursue undergraduate and graduate studies in top-ranked Pakistani Universities
- UNIVERSITY FACULTY EXCHANGE: 50 Short-term exchange of University faculty from Pakistan and Sri Lanka for seminars, conferences and other academic & research related activities
- SRI LANKAN GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS TRAINING: 50 Short-term trainings for Sri Lankan officials in areas of public administration, governance and leadership
- PAKISTAN HIGHER EDUCATION EXPO : 05 Pakistani Higher Education Expo in Colombo to introduce Pakistani higher education institutions to facilitate Sri Lankan students and faculty
- CENTER OF ASIAN CULTURE AND CIVILIZATION: Pak-Srilanka Higher Education Cooperation Program establishes a center of Asian Culture and civilization at a Sri Lankan University to promote the value of Culture and civilization