SRGP: Fundamentals of Project Management
Introduction and Background
The Start-Up Research Grant Program (SRGP) is designed to assist the fresh PhD holders who are IPFP Fellows, to establish research facilities upon joining higher education institutions as faculty members. The programme enables the newly appointed PhD faculty to plan the setup of basic research infrastructure to start research activities without delay. The programme helps to engage both the faculty and students in research through provision of financial assistance and basic lab/experimental facilities.
National Academy of Higher Education (NAHE) has provisionally awarded eligible IPFP Phase II Fellows who applied for SRGP, from different academic backgrounds ranging from social sciences to life sciences across all provinces in Pakistan, a grant of up to PKR 1,000,000 each.
Given the academic and regional diversity of successful SRGP applicants, NAHE has designed a 2-week online capability building program that will serve as a refresher in project management for IPFP fellows, most of whom will be leading a project for the very first time.
Topics and Themes
A Synchronous session will cover the following topics:
- What is Project Management?
- What is a Project?
At the end of the Programme, participant will be expected to understand:
Intended Learning Outcomes
At the end of this session the candidates are expected to understand:
- The concept of what Project Management is
- The core elements of Project Management
- Challenges encountered in undertaking Project Management
- The concept of the Work Breakdown Structure
- The application of Project Management and the Work Breakdown Structure techniques to academic research (and other) projects
Schedule and Duration
- Week 1: March 27th 2021 2-hour synchronous session
- Asynchronous engagement: 2 hours/day for 5 days = 10 hours
- Week 2: April 03rd 2021 1-hour interactive feedback and reflective session with the instructor
- Assessment and Program Evaluation: 1 hour
At the end of the capability development program, participants are expected to demonstrate learning outcomes that are aligned, and cross referenced with the core competencies.
The programme will be delivered virtually. Microsoft Teams will be used for synchronous sessions and group work. For the optimal results in an online learning environment, it is important that learners feel connected and have access to instructor counselling at scheduled times.
SRGP Project Management Program will be delivered by an internationally recognized team of instructors who are industry experts in Data Management, Project Management, Program Management. All instructors are from the MSc Major Program Management at the Saïd Business School, University of Oxford, UK. With 90+ Projects, 5 Offices, and 100+ years of combined experience, the instructors are part of the managing team of Oxon Global, a world-renowned consultancy in project management.
- Gerard Newman, CEO and Partner, Oxon Global: Gerard has over 30 years consulting experience, most recently as a Partner in the UK Firm of PwC. During his time with PwC, Gerard set up the Oracle systems delivery practice and led the practice in the UK and EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa) region. He also sat on the leadership teams for Finance and Technology in PwC in the UK and led the development of the Major Programs proposition within PwC globally, working with Oracle Corporation and the University of Oxford. Gerard has led many large complex transformational projects in the UK, Europe and internationally, for different organisations, environments and across different cultures.
- Ali Ehsan, Founding Partner, Oxon Global: Ali is an experienced industry professional and has worked as a program management consultant, academic and an entrepreneur. Since 2015, he has been working with PwC, Oracle Corporation and faculty of Oxford University in UAE and Pakistan. His expertise is advising Government Ministries on efficient and effective management of Portfolio, Program and Projects. His academic area of specialisation is program management, business strategy and change management, and he has designed and delivered courses for Post and Undergraduate students, EMBA's, Senior Civil Servants, and Corporate Executives. In his entrepreneur role Ali has launched three start-ups including an international sports brand.
- Jerry Skorpil, Founding Partner, Oxon Global: Jerry has extensive experience in executing strategies and implementing business transformations developed through consulting across three continents. Over the years, Jerry has been responsible for managing a $140 million Fortune 100 corporate portfolio, managed a business transformation initiative portfolio of 70 projects to an on-time and on-budget completion, and optimized the supply chain by reducing the number of vendors and supplier price points. He has experience in optimal strategy execution, business transformation leadership and complex corporate portfolio management.
- Stephen Kane, Founding Partner, Oxon Global: Steve is an international executive with public/private sector consulting management, international operations experience and effective leadership skills. His experience provides him with knowledge of public and private sector business practices across a wide range of functional and industry standards. He has strong track record of business development and executive leadership team development across multiple geographic locations in Asia and the United States. Steve is well known for strategic and tactical problem-solving skills and is recognized for his expertise at increasing profitability, reducing overhead cost and delivering on impactful strategic consulting engagements and organizational objectives.
Upon successful completion of the course, certificate of completion will be awarded by both NAHE and Oxon Global.
This course is only open for successful SRGP applicants who have been issued provisional award letters. Invitation to registration will be sent via email on 17 March, 2021. If you have any queries, please contact here:
Mohammad Osaama Bin Shehzad
Educational Technology Specialist