The Register contains the Name & Title of Qualification which is consistent with the criteria for the use of Title and Nomenclature. It will help in reducing the confusion by the use of different nomenclature for similar degrees and use of similar nomenclature for degrees that are actually quite different in duration and scope.
The Register has eight levels are based on the Generic nomenclature used for the qualification in the country. A qualification must be assigned to one of the eight levels. The Framework does not describe qualifications at the same level as being equal and qualifications at the same level are not interchangeable, however, they are at a comparable level in terms of knowledge, skills or competence required.
Each qualification level contains an Outcomes statement that brings clarity and emphasize on the development of qualification. The development of outcomes for a qualification guides for the development of course content, and processes for teaching, learning and assessment. A qualification outcome statement will inform the students and employers that what the qualification holder will have achieved by the end of the qualification. It will also make the purposes and objectives of learning clear to the learner and also convey information to every employer about what job applicant knows.
The Higher Education Commission has adopted subject list of joint Academic classifications of subjects (JACS) developed by Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) with certain amendments to match with the national context. It enlists the major disciplines, sub-fields, and helps in standardization of the subject nomenclature along with categorizing each subject into its relevant major discipline.
Quality Assurance Mechanism
There are two types of accreditation carried out in most parts of the world i.e. Institutional and Program accreditation. Institutional Accreditation looks at the whole Institution, whereas, the program accreditation emphases on individual and professional programs. In Pakistan Institutional accreditation is carried out by the Higher Education Commission (HEC) while, program accreditation is carried out by the Accreditation Councils.
Following are existing accreditation councils/Professional Bodies which accredits the respective programs;
1. Pakistan Bar Council (PBC)
2. Pakistan Council for Architects and Town Planners (PCATP)
3. Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC)
4. Pakistan Medical & Dental Council (PMDC)
5. Pakistan Nursing Council (PNC)
6. Pakistan Pharmacy Council (PCP)
7. Pakistan Veterinary Medical Council (PVMC)
8. National Council for Homoeopathy (NCH)
9. National Council for Tibb (NCT)
10. National Accreditation Council for Teachers Education (NACTE)
11. National Agricultural Education Accreditation Council (NAEAC)
12. National Computing Education Accreditation Council (NCEAC)
13. National Business Education Accreditation Council (NBEAC)